Monday, March 22, 2010

A Father and His Son

 

Tom and I went for BBQ today and wound up talking about Friday's outing to the War Memorial.  We decided to visit.  In a nostalgic moment as I looked at the Vietnam monument, I remembered the struggles of the tumultuous 60's when I refused to Pledge Allegiance in school.  For me, to stand and recite it would have been height of hypocrisy.  We recited the Pledge with emphasis on "under God" and this time I saw it is a promise.

What really caught my eye was a father and his young son feeding the ducks and geese from the pond.  Quietly he shows his son how to shred the tortillas and toss it to the birds.   He stands on the table so the more aggressive geese do not bowl him over in order to get at the food.  They made my day.

 

I know we are only supposed to post one image, but I loved this one as well.  But for me the real story is above.

1 comment:

  1. I like these images. Just as I remembered the day. Thanks for showing me the Memorial. And thanks for your service and willingness to put your life on the line for the rest of us. We never talk about those times nor will I ever pry, but just accept the humble thanks from a friend.

    ReplyDelete